Infant/ Child Car Seat Info
Choose The Right Safety Seat For Your Child
For child car seats to cut the risk of injury and death they must be used correctly. Use this guide to choose the right seat for your child’s age, weight and height.
- Required by law for children weighing less than 9 kg (20 lb.).
- Best to use until at least one year old and a minimum of 10 kg (22 lb.). Follow manufacturer’s recommendations for height/weight.
- Harness slots at or below shoulders and seat is reclined to a 45 degree angle.
- Required by law for children weighing between 9 and18 kg (20-40 lb.).
- Best to use when child is at least one year old and a minimum of 10 kg (22 lb.). Follow manufacturer’s recommendations for height/ weight.
- Harness slots at or above shoulders.
- Required by law for children under the age of 8, weighing between 18 kg and 36 kg (40 – 80 lb.) and less than 145 cm (4′ 9″) tall. Once a child exceeds any one of the above criteria they may be ready to use a seat belt alone.
- The middle of the child’s ear should not be above the back of the vehicle seat, headrest or booster seat.
For further information contact the Ministry of Transportation at 1 800 268-4686 (TTY: 1-866-471-8929) or your local police agency. Brochures are also available at our Durham and Neustadt offices.